Monday 17 June 2019

Beds and Brains

Hello followers!   I know it's been some time since I last posted an updated on this property and Miniatura and the York Fair have come and gone but I was able to attend both fairs and managed to collect quite a few accessories for all three properties on the go at the moment.

I can at last show you the completed Bedroom.    (Some photos have to be taken with the flash as the room is situated behind a pull-out section and that blocks any natural light).

With flash -



Without flash -











The lady of the house has her slippers by the side of the bed and at the end of the four poster is a kist (Scottish chest) which will, hopefully in time, be filled with items as yet to be thought of!








The photo below shows the decorated fourth wall with the door leading into The Study (the Snuggery)



On closer inspection, you can see a furry friend making it's way in.......



and finally, the sleeping cap shown below was made for me by Jonquil    I've had this sitting in my stash for quite some time and was just waiting on the exact spot for it.    I just hope you didn't think I'd forgotten about it Jonquil!    It's such a lovely and unusual piece - I'm very pleased to have it in my collection.




"Phrenology" - (according to Wikipedia)  

was a faculty psychology, theory of brain and science of character reading, what the nineteenth century phrenologists called "the only true science of mind".   Phrenology was derived from the theories of the idiosyncratic Viennese physician Franz Joseph Gall (1758 - 1828).


For some time now I've been searching for a Phrenology head.   I decided that the Master of Marsh Hall, being an educated Victorian individual, was keen on the study of Phrenology so of course he had to have a head.   This proved really tricky but I eventually got one made (in fact the maker gave me two - adult and baby), tracked down some images and added the relevant lines so I can now place them in the Snuggery along with the poster I already had.



These are the images I used as reference - the baby looks a bit scary!




At last, I can finally say that The Snuggery is complete.





8 comments:

  1. Your bedroom with the comfy chair pulled up to the fire burning in the fireplace and the curtain over the door and the Beautiful tester bed, really emphasizes the cosiness of this intimate space, and the nightcap from Jonquil has been waiting patiently for this room and looks Right At Home!
    And although I have seen full-sized versions of Phrenology heads, yours are the very first I've seen in miniature- WELL DONE Irene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bedroom is really great, I love how you dressed the bed, the fabric is gorgeous. The sleeping cap is beautiful and well displayed. The snuggery with the heads is amazing.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely as always, Irene. It is the 'details' in all miniatures that I love more than anything else. The heads and chart so you know the studying and thinking that is going on in that room, the furry fiend on the prowl, the chest which I can already imagine filled with interesting things and the exquisite night cap to aid a good night's sleep. It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bedroom looks gorgeous Irene. Very snug and warm, elegant but not stuffy. Love all your accessories too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your cozy bedroom. The sleeping cap is gorgeous. Wow those heads are amazing wonderful details.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Irene! What fascinating details you have added! The phrenology pieces must surely be unique! Those Victorians still had an interesting idea of "science"! The sleeping cap is so So perfect! and the ladie's slippers are a wonderful touch too! I look forward to seeing the rest of you purchases! You always find the most amazing and appropriate pieces! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Irene!

    I've been hibernating away from the heat for a couple of weeks, so I didn't see this post. I love the phrenology busts - aparenetly my great grampa Cook was a phrenology buff, and analysed the whole family - whether he was ever correct or not is very debatable! But it is a fun idea. Where did you get the screen in the bedroom? It is lovely, very 18th century. I'm glad you found a home for the night cap; sometimes it takes a little while to find just the right spot for a miniature, and I'm happy it has found a home now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Detail detail detail!! You are a master of bringing "real life" into a room, Irene. My eyes couldn't stop darting around the room - You continue to inspire.
    Simon

    ReplyDelete