Sunday 23 September 2018

The Bedroom 1

Work is progressing on the Marsh Hall bedroom and to date (and to let you know I haven't forgotten about this property) I have just completed dressing a four poster bed.

    The bed was purchased quite some time ago from Ashwood Designs*

1/12th Scale Tester Bed  

*Picture courtesy of Ashwood Designs' website.

I had bought it for another property but unfortunately, given the size of the room I was working on at the time, it was too wide so I replaced it with a single bed of the same design leaving me with this one which worked out really well as I think it's ideal for Marsh Hall.

In my head, Marsh Hall is a baronial property situated in the Highlands of Scotland round about 1850.   High fashion didn't reach the Highlands for quite some time so what may have been cutting edge design in 1850 London (or even Edinburgh) wasn't seen for a while (if at all, even for low gentry) unless of course there was plenty money to hand or you were Queen Victoria and living at Balmoral. 

The style it has been dressed in is pretty plain with no unnecessary cushions or frills.   That wasn't the Scottish way (although it was tempting to add a couple of cushions - I remained firm!)

So, and while I carry on decorating the main room, here is my Baronial bed.







6 comments:

  1. Good call Irene! The bed looks great, definitely fit for a baron without being over the top. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love it. Spot on - just the right feel to it and beautifully done. Well done you....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This bed is fantastic, I love the fabric you used.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Irene! I LOVE it!!! It is hard to stick with the real simpler ideas of past eras, when they had fewer resources and less time for fripperies! I heartily approve of your restraint! (I will be needing large doses myself as I "furnish" my more Medieval rooms of the Castle... they had so few possessions back then!) So seeing your example gives me courage! I truly love the plaid.... where did you find such a great mini version of the pattern? I am always looking....! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bed looks very masculine, clean and simple. I love the throw on the end of it and can't help but admire your skills at keeping the plaids straight- not so simple or easy as it looks!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Irene,
    This is a real masterpiece. The bed is beautiful and the hangings and bedding is gorgeous!
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete