Friday 10 April 2020

Some progress - at last!

I was quite taken aback, when I looked at this blog, to see that my last post was June last year.    That was a bit of a shock, I can tell you!    I've been working away on this in between playing with another property so it seems as if I should have more to show you all.

Work started on a Bathroom in the roof space.    Not really historically correct for the time - 1850 - but I do like having a bathroom in my properties and as there are three spaces in the roof to be dealt with, why not?

This is what there is to work with in the roof space.    The Bathroom is on the left, Upper Hall in the centre and something else on the right - no idea what yet. 

 

Work started in the bathroom by adding a false wall at the back to take a cabinet and leave a recess for the loo.    Annoyingly, I didn't take any pictures at the start.    The cabinet was a barewood piece that has been painted and varnished, shelves lined and trimmed and lace added to the inner door.   The loo was a piece I already had.


Lots of bathroom accessories to be added


The wallpaper is a Susan Bembridge design and the panelling was created from self-adhesive flooring


The fancy washstand is a little table kit from Alison Davies which has been painted, varnished, gold detail and a "marble" top added


The Victorian towel rail was a kit purchased from Arjen Spinhoven




Maddeningly, I got as far as working on the door when it dawned on me I couldn't get any further with the Bathroom until the Hall had been completed, purely by the order of jobs to be done so that was left aside and wall panelling was ordered.   I had also completely forgotten that I wouldn't be able to route the wiring through the back because my false wall was already fixed in place so it had to go out via the Hall before the toilet was installed.


I've called it the Upper Hall (purely because I couldn't think of anything else) and it's quite a sparse little space.     The Hall chairs and candle holders are again kits by Arjen Spinhoven.




I hope you are all keeping well and we don't have to remain housebound for too long.    Stay safe everyone and happy mini-ing!






5 comments:

  1. No matter how much time goes by, my visits to any of your Historic Properties, is Always WORTH THE WAIT! :D
    I think that your gothic loo alcove with a curtain is SUCH a good idea and perfectly in keeping with the rest of Marsh Hall. And I must say that I LOVE the way you've recessed the shelving into the false wall which treats it as an architectural feature rather than a piece of additional furniture- Totally BRILLIANT!
    Your ceiling and wall treatments are Top Drawer Irene, and using the self stick flooring for the wainscoting gets TWO THUMBS WAY UP!
    I am intrigued by the contrasts between the very feminine, elegant bath and the more brooding and masculine Upper Hall and I'm already impatient to see MORE-
    and hopefully BEFORE next year!! 🙄😇❤️

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like yopur bathroom very much, I love the way you half hide the loo with a curtain. There are beautiful pieces of furniture.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Irene. Great to see some progress. I love both the bathroom and the hall. I think the simplicity of the hall is perfect for the position (attic) and its function. And who cares if the bathroom isn’t entirely historically accurate? There are always weird little anomalies in old houses, so do what you want! Take care and stay safe! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Irene! Time flies when you are having fun! The bathroom looks very stylish even if it is anachronistic to place it in the attic. Sometimes we just have to make use of what space we have! I can feel your pain with the order of tasks.... I have the same issues with the knee-walls in my Lovely Old Dollhouse attic... they are still not attached and finished because of the electrical upgrade that still needs to be done...! Your upper hall looks very "polished" with all that paneling! I would add cupboards for more linens and bedcovers... things that might not live in the bathroom! Those chairs have a wonderful medieval look to them... maybe I should get a few for my hall! Keep safe and Keep making minis! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be fair there would be nothing stopping an 1850 resident deciding on having a room set up with a bath in their loft if they wanted to...so you just have a quirky inhabitant. It is both pretty and practical. I love the finish on AD table. I managed to get mine at the beginning of her 'career' when they were already finished by her. Good job or I would never have any. I was relieved to see a paraffin heater in that room, stinky but it will do the job.

    ReplyDelete